"If you have been voting for politicians who promise to give you goodies at someone else’s expense, then you have no right to complain when they take your money and give it to someone else, including themselves." -- Thomas Sowell.
Oh, winter--and it has only just begun! But Sr. Torres takes good care of us at La Papoñita every Sunday from 14:00 (2 pm) onwards, so it is always well worth it to venture out and come meet with others for lively discussions and lots of information.
Some items of note include:
1. One of our members is leaving us, taking only what can be put in a suitcase. But since she has more than fits in one suitcase, she needs more suitcases to put her things in, and she needs them fast. Does anyone have old suitcase(s) that she can have? Of course, she is willing to pay for them. They need not be new--far from it! They only need to survive one trip from Montevideo to the USA.
Turns out AAirlines will allow me, at no extra cost bring 5 pieces of luggage...weighing 70 # each...this could work...but I only have 2 large pieces of luggage...Does anyone have 1, 2, or 3 Large pieces of luggage they would be willing to sell ASAP... I can also pay extra, for 2 more checked bags...for a total of 7...about $200.00 a piece for any extra bags...clearly the bigger the better...so Iam looking to see if anyone wants to get sell any...no matter the condition just so it will stay intact for one more journey.
So if you can help out, please contact her directly at cmottaz.mottaz (at) gmail.com.
2. More things for sale as said member's household goods get sold off, so come and help her get rid of the remaining items.. The remaining items include: a queen size comforter, lots of decoration items, rattan storage boxes, an orange framed mirror, a hat, candles, kitchen tools (some Wm. Sonoma), dishes, large decorative jars, plants, outdoor chairs with cushions and iron outdoor chairs and a glass table. Some of the items are pictured. There are also a variety of wines, as well as seasonings and spices.
Assorted hand tools...3.00 +up...screw drivers, wrenches etc.
Sewing machine - 125.00 US, Punktal is the brand...brand new, bought in UY,
learn Spanish language books Assorted- from $3.00 + 10.00
Complete set of Rosetta Stone Learning Spanish -40.00
Assorted all in English books,
Bake wear...spring form pan etc. Corning Souffle dish
Crate and Barrell ...white porcelain dinner plates for 6
Assorted designs salad plates ....6.00 to 10.0
Wine...and some Liquor....I sold wine for my career...and these are all good wines...mostly red, some champagne...UY and Chilean, Argentine, $5.00 and $10.00 (sold wine for my work career...so I know good stuff!)
Floral 5x8 canvas backed cotton hooked rug...coral and cream color, + rug pad...unheard of in UY!
Black out shades...2 solid white, 1 beige - all same size - 1.44 wide x 0.96 long meters
Long..- $200.00 each Can be made smaller...
Linen napkins...assorted, assorted place mats...table cloths...
Wrought iron base and .2 chairs and glass top table w/ cushions see pix
2 Wrought iron chairs...w/ cushions
Small indoor plants...
Some ceiling lights...see pix
Gold framed pictures... see pix
The last chance to get these and other items will be on Saturday, May 31, from 2 to 4 pm. If you are interested, contact the owner (in English, please) at cmottaz.mottaz (at) gmail.com. And pass the word to anyone and everyone--this is the last chance, and she needs your help. All sales are, of course, in US dollars.
3. BROU has written to some of its customers: One of our members has passed on part of a recent message BROU sent out:
"MORE IMPORTANT INFORMATION.
NEXT MONTH, WILL BE APROVED ANOTHER LAW, BY ORDER OF THE US GOVERNMENT
EVERY USA CITIZEN, MUST ALLOW THE US GOVERNMENT, TO SEE YOURS ACCOUNT IN OUR COUNTRY."
IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH THIS NEW RULE, WE HAVE TO BAN YOU.
So there, we can be banned.
This is the result of the FATCA law in the USA. Has anyone else received something similar from a different bank?
4. Important for drivers: First Aid Kits--now required in cars. It's not a new requirement, but now, according to the newspapers, cars will be checked to see if they have one, so consder yourself warned. They are available for 730 to 900 pesos.
5. Moving companies: Come on, folks. Most of you moved here and sent containers, but the response with info about the company you used and whether you recommend others use that company (or horror stories and your recommendation that people avoid that company) were really sparse. So please help others here, and send in the name (and, for recommended companies, the contact info it you have it) of the companies so others don't have to Google the topic and end up with lots of possibilities and no way to know if they are good. Newcomers will thank you, and I do, too!