"Ambrose Bierce once made a callous statement about war that nevertheless comes to pass whenever the United States intervenes in another country: "War is God’s way of teaching Americans geography." --Laurence M. Vance 29.5.2006
This is a good week to be back at De Picos Pardos in Cordon at the corner of Pablo de Maria and José Enrique Rodó, so Sunday, April 21st, we will be meeting there at 14:00 (2 pm). For a friendly atmosphere, you can't beat it, so I hope you will take advantage of German and Miguel's offer to open for us and come for relaxed conversation and all that this parrilla has to offer.
Further items of possible interest include:
1. The List of 3s : Some time back, you were asked to contribute your ideas about 3 things you wished you had brought with you when you moved to Uruguay, 3 things you are particularly glad you brought, and 3 things you brought but found you didn't need. Not satisfied with these categories, some people added 2 more: Things you are looking for but haven't found here yet, and Things you thought you didn't need but are really glad to have. More items for these categores will surely occur to you right away, so please send these in, and they will be added. Of course, if you read through the list, omissions may also become glaringly obvious, so please send these in, too.
2. People looking for really spicy food should be pleased that there is a (fairly new and still lacking a real sign out front, as well as a menu) Chinese restaurant whose owners come from Szechuan (Sichuan), known for truly hot, spicy cooking, though they also have other, less fiery dishes. The owners are friendly and anxious to please, but have not yet mastered any languages beyond Chinese, Korean and Gastronomy..... It is located at 834 Mercedes, across from the new Sodre Auditorio Nacional, and they open at 8 pm. A typical plate (including meat) costs about $250, while 4 can expect a hot pot for $2000, which includes alcohol (cheaper, of course, if you stick with tea). If your Chinese is rusty, you might invite one of our Chinese-speaking participants to join you..... :-) Call for reservations: 099 083 002 or 091 216 915.
3. The Book Exchange--a idea talked about for some time,
is back on the list of things people want. It is not yet clear how it should work, but winter will soon be upon us, a perfect time for reading, so please think about how you would like it to work, whether you want to just donate books, or would rather keep track of them and get them back. Sunday would be a good time to work out a plan.
4. Music: Joshua Bell and his US $ 3,5 million Stradivarius will give a concert in Montevideo on Sunday, September 8th at 19:30. Although the event has hardly been advertised, tickets are already on sale, but, given the stature of the star, start at US $ 35. It is definitely an event to consider attending, so let me know if you want us to get tickets for you for this or any of the other events.
So the events where people have expressed interest in attending include:
April 26 (Friday) at the Auditorio Nacional del Sodre: A Concert featuring Stravinsky's Firebird and Dumbarton Oaks, the chamber concerto in E-Flat, at 20:30 (8:30 pm). Tickets $150 to $400 (pesos).
April 27 (Saturday) at the Solis: The live simultaneous broadcast of Julius Caesar (Händel) from the MET at 13:00 (1 pm). Tickets from $300 to $600 (pesos).
Saturday, May 25th--the Ballet Gala at 20:00 at the Sodre Auditorio Nacional. Tickets from $120 to $720.
Saturday, June 22nd--Concierto Extraordinario featuring Wagner: Tristan and Isolde, Act 2 at the Sodre Auditorio Nacional at 18:30. Tickets $120 to $720.
Saturday or Sunday, August 10 or 11--Swan Lake (Tschaikowsky)
Sunday, September 8th--Joshua Bell
Saturday or Sunday, November 2 or 3--Aida (Verdi)
5. An E-Mail just came in from someone requesting help:
"I am delighted to know about you from the Uruguay Insider. I have come from Canada to set up a Meat Export Business in Montevideo. At the moment I am staying at the Orpheo Express Hotel..
I would greatly appreciate your help and assistance in helping me get started, including finding of a room to stay with a local or an Expat family as quickly as possible at reasonable terms.
Musharraf Sultan Kharal"
If you have any suggestions, let me know and I will pass them on. Perhaps he will come on Sunday, so we can get to know him and find out more about his plans.
6. This is NOT the Friday for the Costa Azul meeting.