"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." -- Charles Schultz, creator of the Peanuts comic strip
Are you enjoying the flowers that are brightening up the city and the countryside? And the wonderful weather? They even are opening up the terrace at La Papoñita so that our 14:00 (2 pm) Sunday gatherings
can enjoy the warmth.
Lots of items again this week:: 1
. Blueberry picking date is October 26th
: Katherine has passed on the info, so mark your calendar if you want to combine the enjoyable with the useful: Blueberry picking date: Saturday, October 26, 1 p.m. (1300 h.) Chacra (farm) de Pilar. Driving instructions: North from Atlántida on Ruta 11 to Solis Chico
road (very small sign high on utility pole); turn right. Pilar is the first turn on the left at the large wooden gate. Total distance from Atlántida is approximately 7 km. Before you reach the Chico Solis road, you will pass a building called Chinchilla on the right and the road will begin to climb. Chico Solis road is on the right part way up the climb. It is at km 159.3 of Ruta 11, but there is no sign.
On the Google map (see link), Chico Solis Road is not labeled. It may be the first line to the right above Estación Atlántida and below Ruta 8: https://maps.google.com/maps/empw?url=https:%2F%2Fmaps.google.com%2F%3Fie%3DUTF8%26ll%3D-34.71396,-55.794754%26spn%3D0.171868,0.
Blueberries are being sold at 70 pesos a kilogram. You must bring your own containers. If you would like to purchase your own blueberry bushes, Pilar has a source. She is not selling her bushes, but she knows someone who will sell bushes. You can ask her if you are interested. For further questions, contact
Syd and Gundy: email@example.com
. Shoe repair
: After walking around here for a while, you might need to have your shoes, backpacks, luggage or other items repaired. One of our number recommends:
Monsurró Reparación de Calzado at 26 de Marzo 1240 esq. G. Pereira is a good shoe repair place. 3
: Gourmets in the group have suggested:
The best chocolate
available here is might well be the Italian Pernigott, available both as dark chocolate or milk chocolate. Disco in Punta Carretas Shopping now has real coffee
! As in beans that they can sell as is or grind for you. And their bags are stronger than Palacio del Café’s. 4
. For Tango Enthusiasts
and those who have not yet visited the Mercado Agricola: Throughout the month of October, the
Mercado Agricola is featuring Tango dancing every Wednesday from 20:00 (8 pm) until closing at 22:00 (10 pm)
. It is free
, and you can also check out the place while you are there. It is located near the Parliament at Jose L Terra 2220 between José de Amezaga and Martin Garcia, and is open between 8 and 22 (8 am to 10 pm). 5
. Music, and lots of it in great variety, including organ concerts
, a guitar concert and an harp concert, can be enjoyed at a variety of locations, and many are FREE
) The XXVII Festival Internacional de Órgano del Uruguay! Here’s a link: http://www.eumus.edu.uy/eum/noticias/13/10/09/xxvii-festival-internacional-de-organo-del-uruguay-direccion-artistica-cristina.
- Concert: Sunday, October 20, 6pm, Iglesia Evengélica Alemana, guitarists Carlos Sánchez and Carlos Pochulutegui, presumably FREE, donation requested, like yesterday
- Concert: Sunday, October 27, 5pm, Iglesia de Punta Carretas, Ellauri 408, organist Andreas Liebig (Germany), FREE (but presumably donation requested)
- Concert: billed as “Extraordinario”, and a part of Sodre’s “Música da Cámara”, Sunday, November 10, 5pm, Iglesia de Punta Carretas, Ellauri 408, organist Cristina García Banegas, program “Stylus Phantasticus” – Works by Bruhns, Buxtehude, Reincken, and Bach, cost not stated
- Concert: Wednesday, November 13, 8pm, Teatro Solís, Ópera, Orquesta Filarmónica de Montevideo, Maestro Martín Lebel (France), Tenor Edgardo Rocha, selections from operas by Mozart, Rossini, Donizetti, Puccini, and others, $150 and up
- Concert: Sunday, November 17, 8pm, Iglesia de San Antonio y Santa Clara (Hermanos Capuchinos), Canelones 1660 esq. Minas, organist Sylvius von Kessel (Germany), FREE (but presumably donation requested)
- Concert: Sunday, November 24, 5pm, Igelsia de Punta Carretas, Ellauri 408, organist Matteo Imbruno (Italy), entry not stated, but presumably FREE, donation requested, like the other organ concerts
- Concert: Wednesday, November 27, 8pm, Iglesia de San Antonio y Santa Clara (Hermanos Capuchinos), Canelones 1660 esq. Minas, organist Axel Flierl (Germany), entry not stated, but presumably FREE, donation requested, like the other organ concerts
b) The Congregación Evangélica Alemana de Montevideo has scheduled a number of events on evenings in October.
17.10.2013 at 19:30 Concierto del Coro de Primaria de Colegio Alemán.
20.10.2013 at 18:00 Concierto de los guitarristas Carlos Sánchez y Carlos Pochulutegui
27.10.2013 at 18:00 Concierto de Pablo Pérez en arpa paraguaya
These events are free, but donations are possible (and encouraged.... :-) ...)
For the FREE concerts, there are no tickets--just show up. However, the opera selections concert on November 13th at the Solis Theater costs pesos 150, and it is time to get the tickets, so if you want to join us, please respond by Monday, October 21.
6) Travel Tips: Yes, it is possible to get cheap fares. This was sent in in the hopes that it might help you: