"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito. ." -- Betty Reese.
This weather is certainly nothing to complain about, with sun and lower temperatures. It is a beautiful time to sit on Sunday at La Papoñita, where the gentle breeze makes us feel as if we were sitting in a garden.
So come by on Sunday at 14:00 (2 pm), join the conversations, meet some new people, and learn something new from the others, people who come from all over the world.
This week as always, there is lots to highlight, including:
1. Music hasn't been in the headlines recently, since everyone was off at the beach, but now an opportunity to hear a Paraguayan harp concert should be mentioned. The Congregación Evangélica Alemana de Montevideo (The German Evangelical Church) is having a Concierto de arpa paraguaya on Sunday, the 23rd of February at 19:00 (7 pm). There is no admission charge (i.e., it's a free concert), but they are grateful for donations. The church is located at Juan Manuel Blanes 1116, esq. Durazno.
2. Looking for a vehicle? One of our number has a red pick-up on offer:
Chevrolet Montana (red) pick-up, 2013, fully loaded, like new, owner leaving Uruguay, really good deal, fire sale at U.S.$ 14,990, paid U.S.$ 18,990, 094 796017
3. Another rental flat has become available, this one in Ciudad Vieja. It is offered by one of our number.
Which is a topfloor, on pedestrian street Sarandi, just between Plaza Independencia and Plaza Matriz.
Direcion: Sarandi 637, esquina Bartolome Mitre.
My studio is now free, it is sunny, quiet, with all for cooking, terrace, BBQ, a double bed of 140 cm, a bath with shower and new WC, good pressure
of water; air conditioning, TV satellite, WIFI.
The monthly rate is 890 US dollars, all included. For fifteen days is 570 Us dollars. Less , I don't do because my cost would exceed the income.
There are pictures at
You will notice that the price there is higher. Communicate with the owner directly through the UIE, and it will save you money. If you are interested, let me know, and I will put you in contact with the owner.
4. Empty water bottles are being collected, and your contribution is requested, because LOTS AND LOTS are needed--first, to construct a dog house. It that goes to plan, it is estimated that a whole house could be constructed with 11,000 bottles, and it would only cost about US $ 1,000. So don't pitch your water bottles--bring them to La Papoñita on Sunday, and make someone happy (the builder, the dogs, and who knows, maybe eventually some people.... :-) ).
The request is for any plastic bottles, not just water bottles:
Anything plastic. 500ml, 600ml, 1.5L, 2 L or 2,25 L Need the cap also.
5. The Uruguay Info Exchange made the newspaper--at least that is what was reported. There was supposed to have been a picture of us in El Observador last week, but it has not been possible to track down the picure. Can anyone help? Do you have the picture? Or the date when it appeared? And information you can provide will be much appreciated.
One more thing: Perhaps you have been disappointed by the fact that our website hasn't been updated in a while. This has been because the programmer has had to deal with sadness in his family, but he is back to work now, will be catching up on all the Bulletins, and, it can be hoped, expanding it. So please be patient just a little longer.