"Need" now means wanting someone else's money.
"Greed" now means wanting to keep your own.
"Compassion" is when a politician arranges the transfer.
Semana Santa or Semana de Turismo has emptied Montevideo, and most shops and restaurants are closed, so for Easter Sunday, Candy and Roger Hughes have been kind enough to invite us all to a pot-luck at their home.
Thus, we will all get together on Easter Sunday at 14:00 (2 pm) and the flat of
Candy and Roger Hughes
Francisco Vidal 759, Apt. 710
Bring whatever you like to eat or drink (or nothing at all, if you are in a hotel or otherwise not able to make something to eat--there is sure to be be quite enough). But come and meet people, and perhaps we will have an Easter Egg hunt.
Other things to keep up with include:
1. Forever Tango, a musical history of the dance at the Auditorium Nacional de Sodre--Several people want to go on Monday, April 8th, and if you would like to join, let me know by Tuesday, April 2. Ticket prices range from 400 to 1500 pesos, but experience shows that the cheapest seats are entirely acceptable, so we like to get those.
2. Subscriptions to Sodre events--If you know that you would like to see 5 or more events at the Sodre this season, you can get a subscription, which entitles you
to a 20% discount on the tickets. If you want to see 10 or more events, you can get a 25% discount. And if you want to see all 17 events, the discount rises to 30%. The leaflet explaining it all, with all the events, dates and prices are attached.
3. Penny Lanning is offering to teach English or Spanish to anyone interested, and to translate for you anything that needs translating. Any particulars should be discussed directly with her. You can contact her at lauralanning "the at sign" yahoo.com.
4. The maker of the best home-made pizza crust in Montevideo has declared that the best restaurant pizza crust in Montevideo is to be had at Venecia Pizza Boutique, located at Av. Gral. Rivera 3351 at the corner of Periera de la Luz. The chef spent over 20 years in Sweden, so he knows (and cooks) more to European tastes. There is a mini permanent menu, with the main dishes changing every day--as per his decision the night before.
5. Books in Spanish seem to carry quite impressive price tags, but a store that has quite a collection of used books with very affordable prices is Libreria Pocho, and they have many that are suitable for Spanish learners looking for parallel texts. They have 3 locations: Avda. 8 de Octubre 3615, Avda. 8 de Octubre 3172 and Avda. 18 de Julio 2198. Happy hunting.
Enough for today.