Of course what this could mean is that by the end of this century the most economically free and prosperous people in the world could be living in China, and Americans may be doing their laundry!
The excellent local cooks treated us to spectacular goodies on Easter Sunday (comments like "this is to die for" were heard).
Now, sadly, Candy and Roger are preparing to leave us, so a Despedida, a Farewell Party, is set for this coming Sunday, April 7th at 14:00 (2 pm), hosted by
Ann-Christine and Roy Durandetto at their home at
2730 Solano Antuna, Apt. 201,
Bring whatever you like to eat or drink (or nothing at all, if you are in a hotel or otherwise not able to make something to eat--there is sure to be be quite enough).
Further items of potential interest include:
1. A concert is coming up on Friday, April 13th featuring Barry Douglas playing Penderecki, Concerto for Piano, followed by Tschaikowsky, Symphony #6. Ticket prices range from $120 (pesos) to $720 (pesos). Some of us are planning to go to this event at the new Sodre Auditorium Nacional, so if you would like to join us, please let me know by Monday, April 8th, and we will get the number of tickets you require for you. We favor the cheapest seats, having found them to be completely acceptable.
2. For those over the age of 70 with a permanent Cédula--you can ride the Montevideo city busses for free on Sundays. Just show your Cédula (rapidly), since it is not quite clear if it applies to non-citizens.....
3. People wanting local information, but not sufficiently firm in their Spanish yet to be able to deal with the local newspapers, can go the the Website of the newspaper El Pais,
Up at the top on the right hand side, you will see little round buttons with the flag colors of various nations. Click on the one of your preference (British flag for English), French, German or Italian, and the page will reload in your chosen language.
4. No Language Exchange meeting this Friday evening at Costa Azul in Pocitos. Next meeting on April 12th.
5. Remember: For the latest from the UIE, or if E-Mail problems mean you don't get the weekly bulletin, always check out our web page on www.expore-uruguay.com under "Meet People", or go directly to http://www.explore-uruguay.com/uruguay-info-exchange.html
Enough for today.